This post is a compilation of quotes about living in the moment.
As a society, we have more possibilities, options and things to make us happy than ever!
Yet, the conversation and search for happiness, satisfaction & mental peace is more popular than ever.
That doesn’t add up, does it?
You’d think that by having nearly everything we want, contentment would be a given. But that’s not the case.
And one of the reasons is that we don’t put enough focus on living in the moment!
With all the notifications and information overload, we often find ourselves anywhere but the present moment.
We believe that once we get that raise or buy a new house, that’s when we’ll finally be able to relax and be happy.
But the truth is – happiness does not lie in having more things, but in finding a way to enjoy and be content with each moment while you’re in it.
They say that dwelling on the past brings depression and obsessing about the future brings anxiety.
And yet how often do we find ourselves preoccupied with those thoughts instead of cherishing whatever is happening right now, no matter how simple or boring it might seem.
That being said, I do understand that this is not that easily achieved, so to inspire you, I’ve gathered these 51 quotes that will help you live in the moment.
Quotes About Living In The Moment
Living in the moment allows you to experience peace, happiness, and harmony.
The following quotes will inspire you to make a change, help you to adjust your mindset, and lead you to find joy in the right now.
- “Forever is composed of nows.“
– Emily Dickinson
- “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”
– Alice Morse Earle
- “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.”
– Abraham Maslow.
- “My past and my future depends on today.”
– Trevor Hall
- “If you must look back, do so forgivingly. If you must look forward, do so prayerfully. However, the wisest thing you can do is to be present in the present. Gratefully.”
– Maya Angelou
- “Yesterday is dead; tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”
– Groucho Marx
- “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.”
– Thomas S. Monson
- “Happiness, not in another place but this place… not for another hour, but this hour.”
— Walt Whitman
- “Living in the present moment creates the experience of eternity.”
– Deepak Chopra
- “I always live in the present. The future I can’t know. The past I no longer have.”
– Fernando Pessoa
- “Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.”
– Jim Rohn
- “The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
– Emmet Fox
- “The only way to survive eternity is to be able to appreciate each moment.”
― Lauren Kate
- “The first recipe for happiness is: avoid too lengthy meditation on the past.”
– André Maurois
- “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”
― Maya Angelou
- “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
- “If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
– Lao Tzu
- “Wherever you are be all there.”
– Jim Elliot
- “To live in the present moment is a miracle. The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh
- “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.”
– Jan Glidewell
- “Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for your life to begin and start making the most of the moment you are in.”
― Germany Kent
- “When you arise in the morning, think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love.”
– Marcus Aurelius
- “Overthinking will not empower you over things that are beyond your control. So, let it be if it is meant to be and cherish the moment.”
― Mahsati A
- “The future starts today, not tomorrow.”
– Pope John Paul II
- “Remember then: there is only one time that is important – now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power.”
– Leo Tolstoy
- “When you are here and now, sitting totally, not jumping ahead, the miracle has happened. To be in the moment is the miracle.”
(psst… join our inbox family for weekly tips on positive thinking!)
- “Today is life-the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.”
– Dale Carnegie
- “When you are measuring life, you are not living it.”
– Mitch Albom
- “Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain!”
– Louis Tomlinson
- “At the end, one didn’t remember life as a whole but as just a string of moments.”
– David Levien
- “Enjoy today. It is one of the “good old days” you will miss in the future!”
― Etta Sawyerr
- “Life is a preparation for the future, and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.”
― Albert Einstein
- “Living in the moment means letting go of the past and not waiting for the future. It means living your life consciously, aware that each moment you breathe is a gift.”
– Oprah Winfrey
- “Don’t wait for a crisis to realize what matters most. Put yourself first right now. Because right now is all we have.”
– Brittany Burgunder
- “We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take time to enjoy where we are.”
― Bill Watterson
- “Don’t wait for the perfect moment, take the moment, and make it perfect.”
– Zoey Sayward
- “Are you responding to the NOW or reacting to your past?”
– Ramana Pemmaraju
- “Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.”
– Gordon B. Hinckley
- “Live today. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. Just today. Inhabit your moments. Don’t rent them out to tomorrow.”
― Jerry Spinelli
- “The future belongs to those who learn from the past and live brilliantly in the present moment.”
― Debasish Mridha
- “The point is to be in the moment, not miss the moment while trying to capture it.”
― Sheralyn Pratt
- “The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting.”
– Haruki Murakami
- “Mindfulness is living in the moment without judging it.”
― Debasish Mridha
- “Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the now the primary focus of your life.”
— Eckhart Tolle
- “It is only possible to live happily-ever-after on a day-to-day basis.”
– Margaret Bonnano
- “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.”
– Amit Ray
- “Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry — all forms of fear — are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.”
— Eckhart Tolle
- “Learn to focus only on the present. The past is unchangeable so it is futile to reflect on it unless you are making sure you do not repeat mistakes. The future is but a result of your action today. So learn from the past to do better in the present so that you can succeed in the future.”
– Jordan Lejuwaan
- “Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can’t relive it, and we can hope for the future, but we don’t know if there is one.”
– George Harrison.
- “Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.”
– James Thurber
- “Live quietly in the moment and see the beauty of all before you. The future will take care of itself.”
– Paramahansa Yogananda
- “Children have neither a past nor a future. Thus they enjoy the present, which seldom happens to us.”
– Jean de La Bruyère
- “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.
Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in. Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bible Quotes about living in the moment
And if you want to know ‘What does God say about living in the moment‘, here are some quotes from the bible as well. In several places, the bible advises us to not dwell on yesterday and to avoid being anxious about what is to come because it is all in God’s hands.
We are called to live each present moment to the glory of God.
- “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
– Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
- “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.“
– James 4:14 (NIV)
- “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.“
– Isaiah 43:18-19 (NIV)
- “The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.“
– Psalm 118:24 (NIV)
I hope all of these quotes are a great reminder to take a moment and appreciate what you have right now.
Now, go and make this moment one to remember!