Welcome to 2019- in case you hadn’t noticed, buying a sofa at an actual store is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
People are global, online, move more often and generally live faster paced lives. In other words, there’s a HIGH likelihood at this point that you will need to purchase a sofa online, whether it be for a temporary fix or a permanent solution.
Now the question is… how do you get style, comfort AND stay in budget? I’m just saying, you’re kind of asking for a LOT my friend!
The style part is not that difficult to judge over the internet. But, how the heck are you supposed to know if a sofa will be comfortable when you haven’t seen it? felt it? sat on it? Don’t worry! I’ve done it successfully and you can too.
I believe the most important things are dimensions and cushion fill.
- SOFA LENGTH – measure the space where you want to place your sofa. Make sure there will be ample room to walk around. (If it’s hard to envision, use a piece of paper or cardboard cut to your desired size to simulate your sofa).
2. SEAT HEIGHT- The standard range is 15″ to 20″. If you’re taller (like 6feet+), a taller height might be more comfortable. The best way to know is to measure the height of sofas you’ve sat on and liked.
3. SEAT DEPTH- there is a big difference between sofa depth and seat cushion depth. When buying online, look for the seat cushion depth (it’s not always obvious on the website).
– If you like to sit erect or if you’re short and want your feet to touch the ground, shoot for a seat depth of 20-22 inches
– If you are really tall or like to cuddle, lounge or sit with your legs under you, shoot for 23+ inches (this is what I like)
You can go for a much higher seat depth if you decide you’re absolutely done with adulting and want to be completely swallowed up in your sofa. Just remember that if you have a small or narrow room, a really deep couch may look out of proportion.
- FOAM- the most common filling. High Density is firm but durable and low maintenance. Low Density is soft and not as durable. Memory Foam will mold to the body.
- FEATHERS (DOWN)- the softest filling but the most expensive and high maintenance. These cushions can get lumpy or look sloppy unless you fluff and rotate your cushions regularly.
- POLYESTER- it comes in various densities and each have their pros and cons.
There are other types or fillings and different mixes so make sure you do a bit more research.
DEZE’S PRO TIPS:
– Reviews Reviews Reviews!! I usually only consider things that have at least 4 out of 5 stars
– Call customer service to ask about details that aren’t clear on the website. You can also request or buy swatches.
– If you’re feeling really unsure, write down the dimensions and specifications of the sofa you like and then go into a local furniture store. Find something constructed similarly and sit on it! This will inform your choice.
– Look for open box items (when an item is opened and then returned, some companies resell the item for a deep discount even though it’s brand new)! You can find these at: Amazon, Overstock & Wayfair.
– Measure your doors and make sure you can get your new sofa inside. No netflix and chill in the front lawn sis.
Now that we’ve got the basics down, I went hunting (over a course of days you guys) to show you some of the best budget options from across the interwebs:
**This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no additional cost to you whatsoever)!**
1. Dark Capsule Sofa w. USB[$379.99] | 2. Grandin Sofa [$469.99] | 3. Graham Sleeper [$399.99] | 4. Light Capsule Sofa w. USB [$419.99] | 5. Samara Sofa in Green [$499.99] | 6. Shayne Sofa[$429.99] | 7 Bonanno Sofa [$445.99] | 8 Brabham Sofa[$429.99] | 9. Ryler Sofa[$399.99] | 10. Tulsa Sleeper, Green [$298.99] | 11. Caitlin Sectional[$499.99] | 12. Tulsa Sleeper, Light Gray [$298.99] | 13. Garren Sofa [$342.99] | 14. Samara Sofa in Black[$374.99] | 15. Grattan Sofa Bed[$297.99] | 16. Obadiah Sofa[$309.99]
Others: Zardoni Sofa [$499.99] from Ashley Furniture
1. Fairchild Sofa[$929.99] | 2. Derry Sofa [$640.99] | 3. Roxbury Sofa[$796.99] | 4. Eva Down Filled Sofa[click link to view price on Amazon] | 5. Willilams Sofa[$859.99] | 6. Sven Sofa[$899] | 7. Volu Sofa [$699] | 8. Eden Sofa[$799.99] | 9. Blaisdell Sofa[$979.99] | 10. Quinn Sofa [$799] | 11. Phokas Sofa [$749.99] | 12. Peoria Sofa[$879.99] | 13. Stitch&Time Sofa [click link to view price on Amazon] | 14. Bulkley Sofa[$819.99] | 15. Stone and Beam Down Filled Sofa [click link to view price on Amazon] | 16. Lore Sofa [$759.99]
What do you think? I want to hear about your experiences buying furniture online. Nightmare or Godsend?
**Prices are correct at the time of publishing this post. Prices may change**
**I work really hard to only include products rated at least 4 stars out of 5. Unfortunately, reviews may change**