This post is all about using bible verses on infertility & bible stories about barren women to encourage yourself.
I’ve had a hard cycle this month.
Everywhere I look, someone else has gotten pregnant and it’s not me.
Right on the day my period arrived (and all hope for this cycle was shattered), an extended family member called to announce that she was pregnant again.
I’m going to be transparent and admit that I felt very hopeless.
After an emotional night and a teary drive to work, my spirit was prompted to find and read bible verses about infertility. Hannah’s story, in particular.
Hannah’s story is the one Biblical account that best represents the entire experience of infertility – the emotional heaviness, the despair, the marital effects, the tears and desperation that it brings.
In 1 Samuel 1:16, when she told Eli, the priest, “I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief“, I felt that.
The best thing we can do with a broken heart is to take it to God in prayer and seek comfort in his word.
So, what I’m going to do is to share these bible verses about infertility, stories about barren women in the bible and lastly, some comforting bible verses for the discouraging and hopeless times.
Join me in using these bible verses to pray and declare God’s promises for fertility into our lives.
Use them for encouragement, support and to remind yourself that God truly understands your pain and has a plan for you.
For my story, read... My Fertility Journey (Loss, Endo, Waiting & Hope)
Infertile & Barren Women
In The Bible
- SARAH, Abraham’s wife and eventual mother of Isaac | Genesis 18:1-15, 21:1-7
- REBEKAH, Isaac’s wife and eventual mother of the twins, Jacob & Esau| Genesis 25:21-24
- RACHEL, Jacob’s wife | Genesis 30
- SAMSON’S MOTHER, unnamed | Judges 13
- HANNAH, eventual mother of Samuel | 1 Samuel 1
- THE SHUNAMMITE WOMAN | 2 Kings 4:8-37
- ELIZABETH, eventual mother of John The Baptist | Luke 1
Bible Verses About Fertility
To Encourage You While Trying To Conceive
1. “He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children.
Praise the Lord.”
– Psalms 113:9 NIV
2. “I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.”
– 1 Samuel 1:27 NIV
3. “Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.”
– Psalms 127:3 NIV
4. “And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise.”
– Hebrews 11:11 NIV
5. “Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”
– Genesis 18:14 NIV
7. “Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was childless. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant.”
– Genesis 25:21 NIV
8. “Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.”
– Psalms 128:3 NIV
9. “He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land—your grain, new wine and olive oil—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you. You will be blessed more than any other people; none of your men or women will be childless, nor will any of your livestock be without young.”
– Deuteronomy 7:13-14 NIV
10. “…none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.”
– Exodus 23:26 NIV
11. “The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—”
– Deuteronomy 28:11
Comforting Bible Verses
1. “I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.”
– Psalms 121:1-2 NIV
2. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
– Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
3. “Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.”
– Jeremiah 32:17 NIV
4. “Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced”
– 1 Chronicles 16:12 NIV
5. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
– Romans 8:28 NIV
6. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
– Isaiah 41:10 NIV
7. “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”
– Psalm 27:13-14 NIV
8. “I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.””
– Psalms 77:11-12 NIV
9. “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”
– Psalms 147:3 NIV
10. “I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him.”
– Psalms 40:1,3 NIV
11. “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:”
– Ecclesiastes 3:1 NIV
12. “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
– 1 Peter 5:7 NIV
13. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
– Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
14. “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.”
– Proverbs 13:12 NIV
15. “Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief. My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak.”
– Psalms 31:9-10 NIV
16. “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
– 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NIV
17. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
– Romans 15:13 NIV
My Journey To Fertility Continues…
When I read the story of Hannah, the bible verse that I read over and over and over again is 1 Samuel 1:19.
The message version puts it beautifully by saying:
“…and God began making the necessary arrangements in response to what she had asked”.
My prayer for myself and those reading this is for God to reassure us of the divine arrangements he is making on our behalf.
Isn’t it beautiful that God thought of those of us struggling with infertility from the beginning of time? I thank Him for including bible verses about infertility in the Bible to encourage us and give us hope and an expected end!
Also, don’t forget to join the email family!