These inspiring quotes about journaling are to help you see the benefits of journaling and conquer writer’s block if you already journal.
Journaling is a creative outlet through which we document our thoughts, emotions and life events in order to see them more clearly and preserve them for eternity.
Journaling has many documented mental health benefits and is a powerful tool for self-reflection and personal development.
This is why I’ve gathered these 40 motivating quotes about journal writing from some of the most brilliant minds to walk the earth. May these quotes inspire you, get you “un-stuck” and boost your creativity!
Who knows, you might even learn some cool things about journaling too!
How Can I Use These Journal Quotes?
If you already have a passion for journaling and just need a little boost to get writing today (or maybe you need a good quote to tell the world how much you love writing), you’re going to love these inspirational quotes on journaling!
And if you struggle with journal writing or are thinking about getting started for the first time, these journaling quotes will help you to get excited about this new hobby!
40 Best Quotes About Journaling
1. “A personal journal is an ideal environment in which to ‘become’. It is a perfect place for you to think, feel, discover, expand, remember, and dream.” – Brad Wilcox
I love this quote because it describes all of the different ways that journaling can expand our presence in this world. Journaling transforms us and helps us to live life to the fullest.
2. “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
Journaling allows us to shed our anxieties and worries which ultimately improves our mental health. Anne Frank’s writing is legendary because of the horrible circumstances that she journaled through. Truly courageous.
3. “Whether you’re keeping a journal or writing as a meditation, it’s the same thing. What’s important is you’re having a relationship with your mind.” -Natalie Goldberg
This is probably one of my favorite quotes on journaling. I love the thought of having a relationship with your mind. There is true power in that. Imagine what you can achieve with this mindset.
4. “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jennifer Williamson
Journaling is truly a great tool for creating the life that you want!
5. “Writing in a journal reminds you of your goals and of your learning in life. It offers a place where you can hold a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself.” – Robin Sharma
What better way to align yourself than through journaling!
6. “Writing is medicine. It is an appropriate antidote to injury. It is an appropriate companion for any difficult change.” – Julia Cameron
Writing is very therapeutic and is often all I need to help me detangle and release some of my fears and hurt. After writing my concerns down, I often find the strength to move forward or the courage to face them head on.
7. “Journaling is paying attention to the inside for the purpose of living well from the inside out.” – Lee Wise
Isn’t this journal quote just beautiful? Journaling helps us to be present and live our lives well.
8. “Writing in a journal each day allows you to direct your focus to what you accomplished, what you’re grateful for and what you’re committed to doing better tomorrow. Thus you more deeply enjoy your journey each day.” – Hal Elrod
Hal shares how keeping a gratitude journal helps him to experience each day more fully. With a gratitude journal, you can develop day to day gratefulness and discover true happiness on this journey of life.
9. “Journal writing is a voyage to the interior.” – Christina Baldwin
Are you struggling to find your inner self? Try journaling and enjoy the voyage within.
10. “Writing is another powerful way to sharpen the mental saw. Keeping a journal of our thoughts, experiences, insights, and learnings promotes mental clarity, exactness, and context.” – Stephen Covey
I have found that using a journal to write down and organize all of the chaos that is sometimes in my head helps me to achieve mental clarity. It is so easy to do and so incredibly worth it!
11. “You can make anything by writing.” – C.S. Lewis
There is so much power in writing. You can literally do and be anything within the pages of your journal.
12. “In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself.” – Susan Sontag
Being able to express yourself is so important. Susan Sontag makes a poignant point that you can transform yourself by writing in your journal. In this quote, she’s saying that what you write is not simply a result of who you are, who you are is also a result of what you write!
13. “Isn’t it mysterious to begin a new journal…I can run my fingers through the fresh clean pages but I cannot guess what the writing on them will be.” -Maud Hart Lovelace
There is so much excitement in holding a pretty, brand new, clean journal. It’s truly one of the best feelings in the world. That’s probably why it’s so easy to end up with half-used journals all around the house!
14. “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere.” – Anne Lamott
You cannot “fail” at journaling; you can only fail at it if you don’t start. Try it out for a day and see how it grows on you.
15. “Journaling has become one of the most gratifying and fulfilling practices of my life. Not only do I derive the daily benefits of consciously directing my thoughts and putting them in writing, but even more powerful are those I have gained from reviewing my journals.” – Hal Elrod
Writing brings so many benefits, but reading what you wrote in the past is one of the most beneficial. It helps you to realize how you’ve changed and what you had to overcome to get where you are today.
16. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’amour
This is a fantastic motivational quote to help you just start writing! If you are worried that you have nothing to say, just write down that worry until more comes to your mind. It all begins with one word on a piece of paper.
17. “When you journal you are giving yourself a voice, allowing yourself to be heard while listening!” – Denise Beaulieu
I love that journaling helps me to feel that my emotions are valid and that they have been heard, even when the words never come out of my mouth.
18. “What happens to us is not as important as the meaning we assign to it. Journaling helps sort this out.” – Michael Hyatt
Our minds can easily get jumbled up with everything we consciously and subconsciously absorb. Sometimes it is hard to see what is really important amongst the minutia. Journaling can help us to see things more clearly.
19. “I write entirely to find out what I am thinking, what I am looking at, what I see, and what it means, what I want and what I fear.” – Joan Didion
Writing in a journal helps you to learn more about yourself. When you are continuously learning about yourself, you are always growing!
20. “Journaling is a way to be a good steward of the Spirit’s illuminations.” -John Piper
A spiritual journal is a great way to document how the promptings of the Spirit have played out in your life. You can more effectively trace God’s hand on your life and that is a beautiful thing to experience.
21. “Journal what you love, what you hate, what’s in your head, what’s important. Journaling organizes your thoughts; allows you to see things in a concrete way that otherwise you might not see. Focus on what you think you need to find your art.” – Kay WalkingStick
Sometimes talking to people about your problems is not enough. When that happens, try talking to yourself by writing your thoughts down in a journal. You should be able to work through your problem with more ease!
22. “Documenting little details of your everyday life becomes a celebration of who you are.” – Carolyn V. Hamilton
There is something beautiful about documenting your life story. You will be amazed to find out how dynamic you are!
23. “You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
We all have something to say. Even if no one reads your story but yourself, you still need to be heard. So get started!
24. “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
It can be so hard to elucidate the true wishes of our heart. Journaling helps us to unfold and realize our true feelings and thoughts.
25. “The only thing I have done religiously in my life is keep a journal, I have hundreds of them, filled with feathers, flowers, photographs, and words – without locks, open on my shelves.” – Terry Tempest Williams
I want to be like this! I’d love to look back on my life through hundreds of journals. What better way to keep your memories with you forever as you age?
26. “A good journal entry ought to be a love letter to the world.” – Anthony Doerr
I am sure many would find my journal inspiring. However, I mainly write to bring inspiration to myself. I love seeing how far I’ve come!
27. “I hope that someday when I am gone, someone, somewhere picks my soul up off these pages and thinks, I would have loved her.” – Nicole Lyons
While it may seem weird or embarrassing for someone to read your journal, try thinking of it this way! Someone out there someday might come to love you for what you wrote and experienced in this life.
you will also like : 55 “Confident Woman” Quotes for a Shot of Self-Confidence
28. “What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.” – Samuel Johnson
Journaling may not come easy to some, and that is completely okay. By putting in the work and writing something of value, you will reap great rewards.
29. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou
The things you don’t write down build up inside of you. Instead of it becoming a heavy weight that you have to carry, write it all down to feel lighter and happier.
30. “Your story is unique and so different, it’s not worthy of comparison.” – Unknown
Maybe you think that you live a boring life compared to your friends or family members. Stop comparing! Your story is unique and needs to be told no matter what.
31. “People who have journals have life twice.” – Jessamyn West
One of my favorite things about journaling is reliving a life story or memory repeatedly by re-reading the entries.
32. “I don’t journal to ‘be productive.’ I don’t do it to find great ideas or to put down prose I can later publish. The pages aren’t intended for anyone but me. It’s the most cost-effective therapy I’ve ever found.” – Tim Ferriss
Journaling is not supposed to be about anyone but yourself. Let it all out- your deepest fears, the emotions you are too afraid to tell anyone else, your joys… Leave it all on the pages.
33. “The best time to begin keeping a journal is whenever you decide to.” – Hannah Hichman
Don’t beat yourself up if you haven’t started yet; just commit to starting now!
34. “Keeping a journal of what’s going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what’s important and what’s not.” – Martina Navratilova
You will quickly see your priorities crystallize when you start to journal, and that is when you can start living your life strategically.
35. “Writing is my way of expressing – and thereby eliminating – all the various ways we can be wrong-headed.” – Zadie Smith
Writing can help you realize when you are in the wrong. This is why it is an excellent personal development tool because it helps us to see our actions more clearly and figure out what we need to improve on.
36. “As there are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen to write.” – William Thackeray
Sometimes you don’t even know what you are struggling with until you begin writing. We hold so much in, and without writing, you’ll never fully release those emotions.
37. “A journal is your completely unaltered voice.” – Lucy Dacus
You do not have to worry about altering who you are to please someone when it comes to journaling. You are completely free to be yourself!
38. “Journaling helps you to remember how strong you truly are within yourself.” – Asad Meah
You will see your strengths more than ever before by writing in a journal.
39. “Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it. Slap into it every stray thought that flutters up into your brain. Cheap paper is less perishable than gray matter, and lead pencil markings endure longer than memory.” – Jack London
Journal writing is a good way to preserve little details of your everyday life in perpetuity. With travel journaling, you can describe your adventures and relive them whenever you reread your words. What a joy it will be to look back on what your life was like now, in the future.
40. “Keeping a journal: The short entries are often as dry as instant tea. Writing them down is like pouring hot water over them to release their aroma.” ― Ernst Jünger
The habit of writing has a specific joy and power that it brings. It can be soothing, energizing and improve your focus, just like a nice cup of tea.
Do any of these motivational quotes about journaling inspire you to grab a pen and paper and write your heart out? I know it does for me!
May these quotes on journaling encourage and inspire you to write creatively whenever you feel stuck.