Need last minute inspiration for unique gift wrapping? Well then, get in here and check out these fabulous washi tape gift wrap ideas!
Washi tape is a decorative tape of Japanese origin. It’s made out of natural fibers like rice, tree bark, bamboo, etc.
It comes in sooooooo many different colors and designs and is super easy to use. Since it’s basically pretty masking tape- it’s adhesive but not too sticky and you can tear it easily.
This all makes it a dream for crafting projects…. and for gift wrapping!
This holiday season, I decided to have some fun with this crafting tool, so I snagged this set of washi tape from Amazon.
I chose this particular set because I wanted a coordinated variety of tapes that give holiday vibes (the gold) while not looking too specific (no red and green combos you know what I mean)? I like things that can be used all year round, and this definitely fit the bill.
related : Easy DIY Confetti Gift Wrap (using things around your home)
Upon recieving them, I was very impressed.
The gold is so brilliant, it actually looks like gold foil. The designs are a mix of glam, eclectic and modern patterns- very attractive variety.
Here are some of them up close:
Now that we’ve covered the washi tape, let’s get into all the ways that I used it to create some unique wrapping paper this season!
Washi Tape Gift Wrap Ideas
For each of these ideas, you will need to start with a pre-wrapped gift.
Whenever I want my gift wrapping details & accessories to siiiiing, I like to use plain kraft paper, which is why you will see my gifts wrapped with black kraft paper or regular kraft paper.
Under each gift wrapping idea, you’ll get a list of materials I used (with links) and detailed instructions of how I put it together.
I hope this gets your creative juices going, so that you can come up with your own version of these cool gift packaging designs.
1. Washi Tape Christmas Tree
With this look, you will be putting a Christmas tree made out of washi tape right on the front of your gift box. Then, you’ll add jingle bells to represent the star at the top of your tree. Not only will it look amazing, the bells will add a festive sound to the package!
How To Get This Washi Tape Christmas Tree Look
1. Arrange your washi tape designs in the order that you will want to stack them.
I chose to stack mine from dark patterns at the bottom of the tree to lighter patterns at the top of the tree, to give it the illusion of heavier to lighter.
2. Unroll the washi tape you’ve chosen for the bottom of the tree a little and cut the edge of the tape diagonally.
3. Stick the end of the tape that you’ve just cut, to the bottom right side of the gift box and unroll it towards the left, without laying or sticking the entire strip down.
4. When the tape is as long as you want it, cut it diagonally, with the shorter side of the diagonal at the top!
5. Now, lay the entire strip down and smooth it down.
6. Pick your next washi tape design and cut the edge of that roll diagonally.
7. Line up the bottom of the new row with the top of the row just below it.
8. Then, repeat steps #3-5.
9. Add row after row (repeating steps #6-8) until you get to the top of the tree which will simply be a triangle.
10. Now that the tree shape is completed, take a new strip of washi tape and cut it in half horizontally.
Then, stick it below the bottom row, to make your tree trunk.
11. Cut a piece of fishing wire that is long enough to go around your whole gift box.
12. String two jingle bells onto the fishing wire.
13. Make a knot to the left and to the right of the 2 bells, so that they won’t move.
14. Lay the string so that the bells hit right at the top of your washi tape Christmas tree and then tie it securely at the back with a double knot.
15. Secure the line on each side of the box with a piece of washi tape.
Voila! You now have a super festive, jingle bell, washi tape, Christmas tree!
2. Washi Tape Flags
Organized chaos can be beautiful. And this gift wrap look proves it. Some washi tape, some bells, some gold, some striped- it all somehow comes together to create this sophisticated look.
What you need for this look:
How To Get This Flagged Washi Tape Look
The nice thing about this look is that it is completely freestyled, meaning that you can’t really mess it up!
1. Cut two very long pieces of twine (one of each different type) that can be wound around your gift multiple times.
2. Pick one to start with.
3. Secure one end of the first piece of twine to the back of your gift box with a piece of tape, then wind the twine around the box in a random manner. Once it looks good, bring the end piece around to the back and tie it to the end that you had secured with tape.
4. Take a piece of washi tape (different lengths look good for this project) and fold it evenly over an area of your twine on the front of your box. The two ends of the tape need to meet.
5. Cut a triangle out of the bottom of the folded tape.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 on different sections of the twine using different washi tape designs.
7. Now, string several jingle bells onto your second piece of twine.
8. Secure one end of the second piece of twine to the back of your box, like you did with the first.
9. Wind it around the box until you like the design. Then, tie the two ends of that twine in the back.
10. Spread the jingle bells around by scooching them along the twine gently.
11. Feel free to use a few dabs of hot glue to secure any sliding twine or bells.
That’s that on the criss-crossing washi tape flag design. It pairs nicely with the Christmas tree design in #1, which is why I gifted both together to members of the same family 😉
3. Personalized Corner Stripes
If you’re wrapping for a lot of people and need something that is impressive, yet quick, this is the look you want to pick. Using alphabet beads to personalize the gift is sure to impress whoever you give it to. (It also eliminates the need for gift tags!)
How To Get This Personalized Washi Tape Corner Stripes Look
1. Cut a piece of fishing wire long enough to tie comfortably around your whole box.
2. Find the letters for the name of the person you are gifting to and string the letters onto the fishing wire.
3. Make a knot to the left of the first letter and to the right of the last letter, so that the whole name doesn’t move too much.
4. Lay the string so that the name hits smack dab in the middle of the box, then tie it securely at the back with a double knot.
5. Pick a corner for your washi tape stripes. Your first stripe should overlap the fishing wire (to provide extra security for the wire).
6. Apply your first strip of tape starting from the back of the box then draped across the corner and back around to the back on the other side.
7. Now, use another design (or the same one) and tape it parallel to the first stripe.
8. Finally, tape down the third piece of tape which should be the smallest, and your striped and personalized washi tape gift wrapping design is done!
4. Hanging Ornaments
This look requires the least number of supplies; all you will need is black washi tape (or masking tape) and something to draw with. That’s it! Technically, it also requires some drawing skills but I don’t have those and I was fine. (Guilty admission- I included this one last because my drawing skills embarrass me! Lol!)
What you need for this look:
How To Get This Hanging Ornaments Look
1. Stick 3 lines of washi tape parallel to each other across the wide side of the gift box.
2. Draw ornaments hanging from the different pieces of tapes. in a variety of shapes and sizes.
(You can trace something circular to get a round shape for round ornaments).
3. Fill each ornament shape in with designs using your drawing tools.
And that’s it! You’re done! Super easy right?
Are you inspired?
With this simple guide, I’m confident that you can come up with some amazing ways to wrap your next gift with washi tape.
If you do, I’d love to see it! Take a picture and tag me on social media!