These 52 words of affirmation for men will make him feel so appreciated and loved.
The 5 love languages by Gary Chapman is easily the most important book in my marriage. My husband and I reference it constantly to explain our emotional needs to each other.
In this book, Gary Chapman explains that after years of research, he noticed that people give and receive love in 5 ways:
- Words of Affirmation
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
- Quality Time
- Receiving Gifts
Everyone has a primary love language (and often a secondary love language) that makes them feel most loved and appreciated.
Simple enough right?
Well, the problem is that people tend to show love in the same way that they receive love and couples are unlikely to speak the same love language. So it’s often like translating between two linguistic languages – the message (of affection in this case) can get lost in translation.
Truly, learning about love languages is a game changer.
So much so for me, that I’ve written a guest article for MarriedToDoctors.com titled “Speaking Each Other’s Love Language During A Busy Medical Residency (or Life)“.
In that article, I wrote “Marriage is for intimacy; intimacy requires time and the shortage of time seems to be the nature of this medical life. I am learning that the solution isn’t necessarily more time; the solution is being efficient with the time that we DO get to spend…“
If you have a man that thrives on verbal accolades and you are asking yourself “how do I uplift my man?” this post has specific words of affirmation that you can use to keep his love tank FULL, just as you’d want him to do for you!
Is Your Man’s Love Language Words of Affirmation?
First, to identify his love language, you can take this quiz.
I highly recommend reading the book for in-depth understanding, however, if you notice that he lights up and is most motivated by compliments and that he is a stickler for being understood, his love language may be words of affirmation.
It’s a common stereotype that men are most concerned with ‘physical touch’ so it may feel awkward to figure out exactly what to say to reach him.
Since words of affirmation are my primary way of receiving love, I intimately understand how powerful words can be when it comes to communicating respect, understanding and building closeness. The first important thing to know is that how you say your words is as important as what you say.
How to Give a Man Words of Affirmation in a Way That Speaks to Him
Before discussing how to affirm your husband or boyfriend, it’s important to note that words of affirmation don’t just have to be shared verbally.
You can also:
- Send them through text messages
- Write them into greeting cards
- Leave them on his voicemail or a voice note
- E-mail them
- Leave appreciative notes in random spots where he is sure to find them
- Praise him when speaking to other people, within his earshot
All of these methods have the same effect – they show him that you cherish him by using words.
When crafting your words, remember these suggestions:
Keep It Positive
Like they describe at FierceMarriage, you can also hurt someone by doing the very opposite of their love language. For men that need words of affirmation, negative words can sting more than you can imagine. So, keep it positive!
When coming up with positive affirmations for your man, you will get the best results if you use words that build him up and not tear him down.
This doesn’t mean that you have to be insincere or give backhanded compliments when things are wrong, it’s just important to craft your words as constructively and positively as possible.
Compliment His Appearance
He may never ask you your opinion on his physical appearance, but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care.
Your relationship will thrive if he feels like you are turned on by his looks. With that being said, try to compliment his physical features and even his fashion choices regularly.
Applaud His Work Ethic
Daily affirmations for men should include compliments about their work ethic.
It can be quite simple.
Don’t let his accomplishments and big decisions go unnoticed. And in addition to the big moments, praise his everyday dedication to his craft.
Show Your Gratitude
Give thanks constantly and sincerely. Acknowledge the smaller actions that could have easily gone unnoticed.
It’s also important to be proactive with your appreciation. Being grateful after conflict happens or after he has already complained about it can come off as insincere.
Encourage During Times of Stress
When life is stressful and he doubts his capability, your vote of confidence can dramatically turn things around. Telling him that you have his back helps him to feel secure and empowered in the moves that he is making.
Some men benefit best from affirmations in the morning. They can boost his confidence and inspire him to be a go-getter all day.
52 Example Words of Affirmation for Him
If you’re stuck on what to say or if it doesn’t feel natural for you to give compliments, it is important to have a list of affirmation examples that you can reference.
These 52 words of affirmation ideas for him are perfect for your boyfriend, husband, or even a male friend and will make his heart smile. Just think- with just a few of these specific & carefully crafted words, you can skyrocket his feelings of happiness, confidence and morale.
- You make me laugh until I cry.
- You give me butterflies just by being near me.
- Your smile lights my world and makes everything better.
- When we’re together, it feels like nothing bad can happen.
- You forgive easily.
- You always put others before yourself.
- You sacrifice for me. I notice that, and I’m thankful.
- You work hard to provide for me.
- You keep me safe.
- You have such a good work ethic.
- You are reliable, and everyone knows that about you. That’s hard to find these days!
- You show compassion even to those who don’t show it in return.
- You always hold the door for the elderly. I love how much you respect them.
- You are strong-willed but not bossy. My perfect other half!
- You are humble and modest despite how CRAZY HANDSOME you are.
- I love how determined you are. Even if you don’t know how to fix something, you take initiative to learn how.
- I respect how well you handle tough situations. Not everyone can keep a level-head like you!
- You never complain about anything. Your positive attitude makes my day better every time we interact.
- You are so thoughtful when planning our future together. We will be happy forever largely because of your selfless efforts.
- You are patient and understanding towards others. That means a lot to me.
- You are smart enough to understand what I mean without having to explain myself over and over again. That’s a big deal!
- You are honest and trustworthy.
- It takes courage to admit mistakes, but admitting them shows strength of character. You do it so well.
- You are intelligent and creative. You inspire me to do things I didn’t think possible before meeting you.
- You are compassionate and considerate. You treat all people equally regardless of their background. What a blessing that is!
- You are wise beyond your years.
- You are gentle yet strong. You are sensitive and empathetic.
- Have you looked in the mirror and seen those sexy muscles?! Enough said.
- You are loyal and faithful. How many men can be called that these days? You are truly one-of-a-kind.
- You are hardworking and diligent in everything you set your mind to.
- You are so giving. You share yourself freely with anyone around you.
- You make sure that no one feels left out or alone.
- It takes two people who care deeply for each other to create something beautiful. I’ve found that with you!
- You make life fun.
- Your laughter is contagious.
- I know you’ll always be there for me no matter what happens.
- You never fail to pleasantly surprise me.
- You’ve taught me things about myself that I hadn’t even realized.
- You teach me new ways to see the world every day.
- You inspire me to do great things.
- You encourage me to dream big dreams.
- You challenge me to grow into the person God created me to become.
- You believe in me and support me through thick and thin.
- You accept me exactly as I am.
- You are a great listener.
- You respect other people’s opinions even if they differ from your own. I admire that about you.
- You don’t try to change me. You simply let me be me.
- You share yourself with me freely.
- I can trust you enough to tell you anything.
- You allow me to express myself without judgment.
- You give the best hugs.
- You’ve always stood beside me during times of trouble.
I’ve heard it said that our words are “king makers”. The right affirmations can motivate him to achieve greater things than you both ever imagined. Above all, it will effectively communicate the love and affection that you have for him, to him.
I hope these words of affirmation for men serve as useful tools in your relationship.