Are you feeling down?
It happens to the best of us. So what are you going to do about it?
That’s the question I always ask myself. We can’t control what happens to us, but we can control how we react.
One tool we can use to respond in a healthy manner is this collection of “feel down” quotes
When used properly, they can help turn even the worst day into one that we can extract valuable life lessons from.
Best Feeling Down Quotes to Inspire, Strengthen, and Settle You
When we’re intentional about turning those sad feelings into something more positive, we start to see things differently.
It’s okay to process your emotions and experience the disappointment or sadness, but it’s not healthy to stay in that dark place.
When you feel down, quotes with uplifting messages can be an excellent way to put even the most challenging circumstances into perspective.
Overcoming adversity is possible with the right mental attitude, but it takes effort.
I hope these feeling down quotes inspire you!
- “Owning your story is the bravest thing you’ll ever do.”
– Brené Brown
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.”
– Christopher Reeve
- “I am strong, because I’ve been weak. I am fearless, because I’ve been afraid. I am wise, because I’ve been foolish.”
- “The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.”
– Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- “It’s OK not to be OK.”
– Lindsey Kelk
- “Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.”
– Dale Carnegie
- “I didn’t fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.”
– Benjamin Franklin
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.”
– C.S. Lewis
- “I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.”
– Joshua Graham
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.”
- “You are more powerful than your circumstances. They don’t define you. You do.”
– Jon Gordon
- “I am thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have come across my strength.”
– Alex Elle
- “Every day may not be good, but there is some good in every day.”
– Alice Morse Earle
- “Forgive those who insult you, attack you, belittle you or take you for granted. But more than this… forgive yourself for allowing them to hurt you.”
Funny Quotes for When You Feel Down for No Particular Reason
As they say, laughter is the best medicine. You may not feel much like laughing when you’re feeling down and out, but it’s good to set your mind on positive things (even when you don’t feel like it).
These aren’t wet-your-pants funny quotes, but I bet they’ll make you crack a smile. When things go wrong in life, it helps to look at it from a positive perspective.
These sayings will help you do just that!
- “When something goes wrong in your life just yell ‘plot twist!’ and move on.”
- “This too shall pass. It might pass like a kidney stone. but it will pass.”
- “Never look backwards or you’ll fall down the stairs.”
— Rudyard Kipling
- “Life is like photography. You need the negatives to develop.”
- “Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost.”
– Martina Navratilova
- “Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.”
– Mallory Hopkins
- “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”
– Jack London
- “Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
- “If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
- “There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through… There needs to be a monster truck option.”
– Jeph Jacques
- “Change is not a four letter word… but often your reaction to it is!”
– Jeffrey Gitomer
- “A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
– Steve Martin
- “Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.”
– Kyle Chandler
- “Try to be like the turtle – at ease in your own shell.”
– Bill Copeland
- “Life is like a sewer… what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.”
– Tom Lehrer
- “Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.”
– Truman Capote
- “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
– Dalai Lama
Encouraging Words for a Friend Feeling Down
Maybe you’re not here for you. Maybe you are here to lift up someone else who is feeling low about life. Good for you!
Here are some quotes for someone feeling down that you can share with them to lift their spirits!
- “There you go, let it all slide out. Unhappiness can’t stick in a person’s soul when it’s slick with tears.”
– Shannon Hale
- “One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you cannot change.”
- “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
– Les Misérables
- “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not making decisions.”
– Katherine Hepburn
- “There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you’ve had enough.”
- “Yesterday is heavy. Put it down.”
- “Sadness does not last forever when we walk in the direction of that which we always desired.”
– Paulo Coelho
- “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
– Thomas Edison
- “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
– Maya Angelou
- “Breathe, my friend, this is just a chapter, not your whole life story.”
- “Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within it a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it.”
- “Be selective with your battles. Sometimes peace is better than being right.”
- “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
– Vivian Greene
- “Most people are stronger than they know. They just forget to believe in it sometimes.”
– Keith Scott
How to Use These Quotes to Think Positive Even When You’re Feeling Low
There are plenty of ways to use positive quotes when you are down, such as posting them in prominent, visible locations.
Write a quote on a post-it note or piece of paper, then stick it on your refrigerator, bathroom mirror, or by your workstation.
Reading (and rereading) these uplifting sayings can help you start seeing things in a more positive light.
(you should also join my email family for weekly tips on being positive & resilient!)
Other ways to get the most benefit from positive quotes include using them as affirmations or in your journaling time.
Experiment with a few of these ideas and find what works best for you!
1. Try Quote Journaling
Whether you’ve been journaling for years or you’ve never written an entry in your life, quote journaling can be a powerful tool to help you feel better.
When you find an inspirational quote that speaks to your soul, write it in your journal. Spend some time thinking about what the quote means to you or how it makes you feel.
If you’re feeling creative, consider embellishing your journal pages with ephemera, designs, or clippings from magazines. I love this type of art journaling.
If you’re a seasoned journaler, try relaxing with a cup of tea and spend time reading through your previous journal entries.
You’d be amazed how therapeutic this can be!
Your journal is uniquely yours, so don’t feel like you have to follow a set of rules. Just turn it into a tool to boost your mood when you’re feeling down.
2. Use Quotes Like You Would Positive Affirmations
So many studies tout the power of positive thinking. What you tell yourself, no doubt, has a profound impact on your success in life as well as your overall happiness and well-being.
If you’ve struggled with negative thoughts, consider using some uplifting quotes just like you would other positive affirmations.
As you focus your thoughts on encouraging words, your brain begins to internalize those messages.
So read your quotes as statements. Believe in the message and make it your own!
3. Speak Them Out Loud When You Feel Down
When you’re feeling down about life, it might be time to speak some inspirational quotes out loud.
With practice, you’ll discover the power of reading, speaking, and hearing positive messages and begin to reap their benefits.
One way to positively impact your mindset is to choose a quote that motivates you, uplifts you, or simply brings you peace.
Try memorizing that quote and speak it out loud whenever you’re feeling down.
If you feel a little self-conscious, practice saying your favorite quotes when you’re alone in your car or early in the morning when everyone else is still asleep.
Pretty soon you’ll gain confidence to speak your quotes whenever, wherever—no matter who may be around.
Whatever You Do, Don’t Put Others Down to Make Yourself Feel Better
Sometimes those “putting others down to feel better” quotes can be kinda funny, but in reality, they’re not healthy and are never the answer.
On the surface, these types of quotes seem harmless and perhaps, are not meant to be insulting or belittling, but that’s exactly what they are.
So don’t fall into the trap of lifting yourself up at someone else’s expense.
As you look for ways to boost your mood, stick to quotes that cater to a healthy mindset, which not only benefits you, but those around you as well.
We all struggle with life’s ups and downs.
It’s what we do during the “downs” that dictate where we go from there.
Inspirational “feeling down” quotes (as they’re sometimes called) can help us put things in perspective.
So whether you write your quotes in a journal or post them throughout your home, keeping positive thoughts at the forefront of your mind can help you overcome just about anything.