This post is about how to make a jar of positive thoughts and what to put in it. (Positivity jar printable included).
You know that feeling of opening a fortune cookie and reading something that is not only good, but also eerily accurate with what’s going on in your life?
Now, how about that feeling you get when a stranger randomly gives you a compliment? Or that feeling when a friend sends you a sweet text out of nowhere?
What if I told you that you could literally bottle up those good feelings and enjoy them whenever you like?
It’s possible with a positivity jar.
Let me explain…
What Exactly Is a Positivity Jar?
Also known as a Happy or Happiness Jar, a positivity jar is almost exactly what it sounds like- a jar full of positive thoughts and notes!
You fill it yourself with things that bring you joy.
That can include joyful moments you’d like to remember, heartwarming quotes, powerful affirmations, motivating mantras, sweet compliments, things that make you feel hopeful and even your favorite pictures!
Then, when you are feeling down, hopeless or discouraged, you select a note from the jar and relive those small pieces of everyday magic that you’ve stashed away.
A positivity jar is a wonderful tool to add to your self care kit.
(For more tools, subscribe to become a part of my e-mail family where we promote positivity and motivation weekly)
How to Make a DIY Positivity Jar
Positivity jar instructions are easy as 1-2-3.
Here’s what you need to do-
- Find a clear jar or container.
**make it extra special by picking a meaningful container with memories attached to it
- Fill the jar.
- Color & cut out your favorite quotes and affirmations from my free printable [get it below].
- Write your own positive words and happy memories on blank slips of paper.
- Fold or roll up each piece of paper and add them to the jar.
- Continue adding to the jar over time.
- Whenever you are feeling sad, discouraged, low in motivation or negative, pick a positive note from the jar, read it and smile.
**another strategy is to select one note daily to start or end each day on a positive note
- Decorate your jar to make it extra special.
- Stuck for time or inspiration?
Put positive words in a jar whenever you make a gratitude list or write in your gratitude journal.
- Make this a fun family activity by having every one contribute to one big household jar (each family member can be assigned a different color of paper and any notes written to them can be written on that color paper).
Simply looking at the fullness of the jar will make you feel good. And reading the notes will make you feel even better!
Things to Put in Your Positive Thoughts Jar
Your options for things to write in a happy jar are pretty endless, but I’d like to give some examples to spark your imagination.
I’m a words of affirmation kind of gal. So, I really like the idea of creating a positive affirmation jar; one where you can select and read a different affirmation every day.
There are so many different types of affirmations to choose from (most of which you can find on this site)!
Check out the following lists of affirmations, write your favorite ones on slips of paper and stick them in the jar.
- Self Love affirmations
- Abundance affirmations
- Confidence affirmations
- Christian affirmations
- Fertility affirmations
- Beauty affirmations
Positivity jar quotes are any sayings by someone else that bring a smile to your face, a pep to your step and a sense of confidence and encouragement to your heart.
Here are some ideas-
- Song lyrics
- Book excerpts
- Encouraging quotes for when you feel down
- Confident woman quotes
- Quotes about living in the moment
Make this a true jar of smiles by reminding yourself of good times that already made you smile.
Including some of the following items will keep the moments you never want to forget alive:
- Funny or cute things that your kid(s) say
- Milestones for your family
- Compliments that people have given you in the past
- Raving performance reviews from work
- Reminders from a fun trip
- Greeting cards that you’ve been given
- Funny memes
- Something beautiful that you noticed on a walk
Notes to Your Future Self
Your positivity jar notes can even be addressed to your future self.
This works well if you plan to stockpile notes over the course of a month or year and then open them on a set date. It also works well if you’re into future self journaling.
Some ideas for what to put in this kind of positive word jar are:
- New things that you don’t want to forget about (new foods you’ve discovered…new songs…new people you’ve met)
- Advice to yourself
- Fears you’ve conquered
- Habits you want to keep working on (use it somewhat like a habit tracker)
- Things to add to next year’s bucket list
- Goals you want to focus on in the future
Include all of the categories above into your jar, with each category written on a differently colored paper.
Tips and Ideas for Using a Positivity Jar
Now that you have all of those positivity jar ideas to get you started, I have a few more tips on how to maximize this happiness tool.
Use It as a Motivation Jar
Support your goals and aspirations with a jar full of motivation!
Include your past achievements, quotes & ideas that inspire you and reminders of hard times you have overcome in the past.
Start with this collection of printable vision board quotes.
Set Up a Positivity Jar at Work
A workplace positive thinking jar can improve morale by encouraging coworkers and employees to look for, document and revisit positive things that happen at work.
related : Free Compliments Printable – Take One & Pass it Around
Gift a “Jar of Hope” to Someone Who Needs It
Make a happy jar for a friend going through hard times.
Fill the jar with things you love about them, cheerful quotes, photos and happy memories.
Then, add a sign to the front letting them know to pick a note from the positive message jar whenever they need hope, comfort or a smile. They will feel so encouraged!
Combine this gift with open when letters and you’ve got a budget friendly care package that comes straight from the heart.
related : How to DIY a SUNSHINE BOX (+ Printables)
Download Your Positivity Jar Printable!
I know it can be a bit intimidating to get started so I’ve made this printable to get you started.
I love it because it includes my favorite quote 😉
All you have to do is print it, cut out the message squares, fold them and throw them into your jar.
I’ve made it so that you can color in some of the quotes and images- just another way to personalize these messages and bring a smile to your face.
Click to have it sent to you right now!
Share Your Thoughts